Friday, July 29, 2011

Contents insurance can't be mandatory, surely?

Endsleigh asked to arrange my contents cover when I move and made it sound like something my letting agent insists on

My husband and I are moving house so, as usual, the letting agents did reference checks, and the company they used was Endsleigh. Since then, both my husband and I have been sent numerous emails, calls and texts from Endsleigh saying "your letting agents have asked us to contact you to sort out your contents insurance".

They rang today and said "your letting agents [or it might have been landlord, I can't quite remember] have asked us to contact you to arrange your contents insurance for your move to Tooting".

I said I was quite capable of arranging my own insurance, thanks. "But your agents have asked us to arrange this for you." I repeated: "No thanks." "We'll go back to them and tell them that, then."

I'm no expert, but this sounds like mis-selling to me as the implication is that I'm obliged to purchase contents insurance off Endsleigh.

In our contract there is no obligation to purchase contents insurance, let alone specifically from Endsleigh ? but such was the implication in the calls/texts that I had to physically check our contract to make sure.

I'm fairly sure, were I not quite so savvy on marketing, I'd have just assumed it was part of my contract and let them flog it to me. It this standard practice? CB, Tooting, London

Endsleigh said it was happy to clarify why it approached you, reiterating that it works in partnership with your letting agent, Samuel Estates.

In the tenant reference form that you filled out for Endsleigh, there was a consent box asking whether Endsleigh should contact you regarding contents insurance. A spokesman said he had checked your form, and you had given permission for the firm to get in touch.

The spokesman continued: "I can see that CB was then sent a text message, giving advance notice that Endsleigh would be calling her ? or giving her the option to ring us should she wish to set up contents insurance more urgently. We also sent her an email, explaining our partnership with her letting agent and the reason for getting in touch.

"CB subsequently had a telephone conversation with Endsleigh, in which she made clear that she was not interested in our contents insurance cover.

"I would like to assure her that all our telephone sales representatives are given scripts to follow, to ensure compliance with regulatory guidelines, and I am satisfied that our representative acted properly. As she did not express any interest in our product, it was flagged that we should not contact her again regarding it."

You remain unhappy with this response because it does not address your concern, which is that Endsleigh implied your landlord/letting agent had asked it to arrange this insurance. This seemed to imply that taking it out was in some way mandatory.

We sought clarification from Endsleigh. A spokesman said the firm disagreed with CB and it was clear its service was merely an offer.

We welcome letters but cannot answer individually. Email us at consumer.champions@guardian.co.uk or write to Brignall & King, Money, the Guardian, 90 York Way, London N1 9GU. Please include a daytime phone number.


guardian.co.uk © Guardian News & Media Limited 2011 | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds


Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/jul/29/contents-insurance-endsleigh

Dance music Motherwell Newspapers Manchester City Buenos Aires Jonny Wilkinson

No comments:

Post a Comment