Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Can I collect and keep anything I find on a beach?

Beaches can be a treasure trove for the forager, but there must be limits to what you can take home

I love rock-pooling. I have ever since I was a child. Occasionally, at low tide, I will collect mussels from the rocks and take them home to eat. I see nothing wrong with this, but I often think about what would happen if everyone on the beach did this, too. Is there a limit to what we can take from a beach? Is it even "ours" to take? What about seaweed, shingle or sand for the garden? Or driftwood? Some beaches shows signs saying "No fires" or "No dogs" suggesting some rules are applied. But I never see anything saying "No collecting".

M Hanley, by email

First thing to say is that eating mussels - or any shellfish - collected by hand from a beach carries some potential health risks, especially if a sewage outlet is located nearby. So please do check first with locals if it is safe to do so.

Obligatory safety notice over, I think the broader question about "limits" is an intriguing one. Of course, if everyone did it, there would be chaos and much damage caused. But I suspect the reality is that only a tiny fraction of people would consider taking something they had found or harvested on the beach home with them.

There must surely be a question of scale, though. Anyone found repeatedly loading up bags of sand or seaweed into the boot of their car might raise eyebrows. Where would that person stand legally? Who "owns" the beach in question? If it is a public beach, as so many are in the UK, does that mean any beach-goer is entitled to take what could be deemed to be common property? Or would the local council, or an agency such as the National Trust or Crown Estate (which owns so much of the UK's foreshore), have to be consulted first? What rules, if any, govern metal-detecting on beaches?

In 2008, I wrote about the annual beach cleaning initiative organised by the Marine Conservation Society called Beachwatch. It was shocking to see what kind of things get washed up, or left behind, on beaches. Perhaps, an unofficial rule when harvesting something from a beach is to carry an item of litter off the beach for every item you want to take home?

This column is an experiment in crowd-sourcing a reader's question, so please let us know your views, experiences and tips below (as opposed to emailing them) and I will join in with some of my own thoughts and reactions as the debate progresses. I will also be inviting various interested parties to join the debate too.

? Please send your own environment question to ask.leo.and.lucy@guardian.co.uk.
Or, alternatively, message me on Twitter @LeoHickman


guardian.co.uk © Guardian News & Media Limited 2011 | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds

Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/green-living-blog/2011/jun/29/coastlines-marine-life-beach-forage

Alliance & Leicester UK security and terrorism Rob Brydon Celebrity Sepp Blatter Lake District

No comments:

Post a Comment