Wednesday, May 4, 2011

University looms for nervous students

Finances are preoccupying our sixth-form students preparing to head into higher education

Ignoring, for a while, the burden of long-term student debt she'll take on when she goes to university, it's the expensive cost of living outside of the parental home that has just come into focus for Zowie Pearce, one of the sixth-formers Education Guardian is following through the Ucas process. "I've done quite a bit of university prep recently, looking around a couple of campuses," says Zowie, who is 18 and goes to Cornwall College. "I found the accommodation fantastic, particularly at Bath Spa, but I've discovered that it's very expensive. Due to my health conditions [Zowie has cystic fibrosis and diabetes], sharing a bathroom isn't really an option, so I'm looking at �118 a week."

Zowie has received conditional offers from Plymouth, Bath Spa, the University of the West of England and Bournemouth, and has spent the last few months pouring over funding information and sending off a loan application to Student Finance England. As a result, she believes students from middle-income households face the biggest financial challenges. "University funding is pretty weak if you don't fall in the category of 'rich' or 'poor'," Zowie says. "Some can expect quite a bit of help from parents to fund uni, but some can't."

Zowie, whose mum works as a medical secretary and dad is a building site manager, will be the first in her family of five to go to university. "Even though my household income is enough to rule me out of much of a maintenance grant, my parents are not going to be able to fund my living costs, especially with the cost of living going up so much," she says. "One of the unis I've been reading about says a single student can work on day-to-day living expenses of �200-�225 a week. "That seems like a crazy amount of money. Of course, the average student will seek employment, but with my health status that just won't be possible, so the money side is worrying."

Zowie advises younger students to start putting money aside as early as possible. "I would suggest saving lots of money before university if you're in a similar situation to me," she says. "For disabled students seeking grants or financial help with travelling costs or extra facilities, help is not that accessible or straightforward. It takes many hours and phone calls to sort out, so ask questions and really look for things you are entitled to."

As A2 exams approach, Zowie has been coping with medical flair-ups as well as juggling revision and coursework deadlines. "My health hasn't been great and I've had quite a few weeks off, but I have stayed organised, so I am hoping it hasn't caused my education too much trouble," she says. "University is a major topic at college, it's a life change and everyone is nervous and excited to branch out. It's scary to think in a matter of months the little protective barrier of Cornwall will be removed and we are going out into a bigger world."

Also preparing to face the real world is Josh Kay, 17, who is studying A-levels at Stourport school in Worcestershire. He has just heard back from his fifth and final UK university on his application to read international relations, but the rejection letter from the London School of Economics wasn't the news he was looking for. Still, having already secured offers from Birmingham, Manchester, Swansea and East Anglia, Josh isn't too downhearted. "It doesn't bother me so much because after I still hadn't heard in February, I didn't think I would get in," he explains. "Plus I think finding accommodation and the expense of living in London would have been difficult."

But the sixth former is still waiting to discover whether his option with the longest commute ? the University of Maastricht in Holland ? is to offer him a place. "There was a problem with the administration in part of my application, so I'm waiting for a phone call from the uni sometime today or tomorrow ? I might need to send in some extra details," he says.

On the UK side, he has clicked "confirm" for the final time on his Ucas form, selecting Manchester as his firm choice and Birmingham as his insurance option. "I might still go to the Netherlands ? I don't have to decide until I receive my A-level results in August ? but I think I will probably opt for Manchester if I get the grades, as I like the university a lot and the city is great," Josh says. "I'm feeling quite confident about university now, I've sorted out accommodation, so it's just about getting the grades. I spent a large part of Easter on revision and essay practice as my German speaking exam is coming up tomorrow."

Now that most universities have announced their new, higher tuition fees from next year, Josh's sense of bitterness about the cost of university has deepened. "I'm not surprised a number have decided to charge �9,000," he says. "The fact the government said only a few would charge the full �9,000 shows either how naive they are or how much they love to lie. While I am not affected, I feel sorry for all of those who will have to pay."

? Lucy Tobin's book, A Guide to Uni Life (Trotman, �9.99), is available now


guardian.co.uk © Guardian News & Media Limited 2011 | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds


Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2011/may/03/university-applicants-loan-applications

Bolton Wanderers Radio 1 Paul Myners Local government Manchester City Radio 4

No comments:

Post a Comment