Sunday, May 29, 2011

Owen Farrell shines for Saracens and targets fly-half spot for England

The 19-year-old who shone in the Premiership final will face renewed competition for his club's fly-half shirt next season

If there is many a slip 'twixt cup and lip, Owen Farrell, at 19 the youngest player on the field, applied a firm grip to ensure that Saracens lifted the Premiership trophy for the first time. He outplayed his opposite number, England's fly-half, Toby Flood.

"Owen was very, very good," said the Leicester scrum-half, Ben Youngs, Flood's partner for club and country. "He looked very relaxed and I think he was the calmest guy on the pitch. He has had a great season and I am sure that in the next couple of years you will see him in a Test match."

Farrell, who made his senior debut at 17, against the Scarlets in 2008, was not expected to feature much this season and was also registered to play for Bedford in the Championship. He did not make his first appearance in the Premiership until 21 November, having been rationed to outings in the LV Cup and a friendly against the United States. Alex Goode and Derick Hougaard contested the No10 jersey.

Saracens did not need a fly-half on the bench because when Hougaard started there Goode offered cover from full-back. But when Hougaard ruptured an achilles tendon during a Heineken Cup defeat by Leinster at Wembley in the middle of October, it ended the South African's season and gave Farrell his chance.

Even then, Saracens signed Gavin Henson to provide cover at fly-half and inside-centre. The Wales international did not make his debut until Boxing Day, because of television commitments, and by then Farrell had established himself. With Brad Barritt immovable at No12, Henson found himself on the bench. He quickly moved on.

Up to 7 November, when they played Northampton in the LV Cup, Saracens had used Goode, Hougaard and Nils Mordt at fly-half. Since then, the jersey has been worn by Farrell in 24 of 25 matches, the exception being an LV Cup win over the Scarlets in which he played in the centre. On Saturday, he showed neither nerves nor fatigue.

"It is a dream come true," said Farrell, whose father, Andy, is one of the coaches at Saracens. "I was at school a year ago and watched the 2010 final on television. A lot of hard work has gone into earning the right to put the shirt on my back, but I am thankful for my chance and very grateful for the coaching staff putting a lot of trust in me. I have always been a person with big aspirations and I have always been confident I could take my opportunity, but you never know until you are out there. This year I have surprised myself as well as much as other people."

Saracens have signed the Sale and England fly-half Charlie Hodgson for next season, and with Hougaard having signed a new contract there will be a three-way battle for the No10 shirt. Goode has settled at full-back.

"I hope to learn a lot from Charlie, but I want to play enough games to carry on learning and improving," Farrell said. "Walking out in front of 80,000 spectators was unbelievable. I don't think I have ever been more excited before a game. I made sure I took in the occasion, but once the game started your focus was on the job in hand. If you do not concentrate for 80 minutes, you get caught out."

Farrell kicked six goals out of six for 17 points. Sarries had won 11 consecutive league matches since losing at Sale at the beginning of the year. In that match they scored 22 points in the same manner as Saturday: a James Short try augmented by a conversion and five penalties from Farrell. Flood missed two second-half penalties which meant Leicester had to go for a try rather than a kick in a frantic finale.

The Tigers' hold on the trophy was finally loosened by a crunching tackle on Flood by his opposite number. "It was not personal," Farrell said. "You do anything you can for your team. I have worked hard on my defence this year and I like hitting people. I played inside-centre all last season and defence has been a focus of mine this season. I have still got a lot to learn and this is only the start for me, but I would love to get an England jersey on my back one day."


guardian.co.uk © Guardian News & Media Limited 2011 | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds


Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/may/30/owen-farrell-saracens-fly-half-england

Strictly Come Dancing Peter Crouch Craig Bellamy JS Bach Climate change Gender

No comments:

Post a Comment