Saturday, March 19, 2011

Michael Holden's All ears

'Every time in London I'm dictated to by these lights! I want to KILL MYSELF! All I know is green and red and orange, green, red and orange! And that's not what life is made of in Beijing'

Waiting on a takeaway I was distracted by a couple finishing their dinner and extolling the virtues of faraway lands, as those emerging from a British winter are often inclined to do.

Woman "There was like a magic to it. They knew that I was one of them. A group crosses the road and it's like an understanding. The most beautiful expression really, of common sense, and that's what the traffic relies on. It's wonderful. I completely love it."

Man "Wow."

Woman (Genuinely angry) "Every time in London I'm dictated to by these lights! I want to KILL MYSELF! All I know is green and red and orange, green, red and orange! And that's not what life is made of in Beijing."

Man "I get it."

Woman "Something happens where you don't have that system. It defers to common understanding. Really amazing. Really amazing."

Man "I'd love you to cross the street in Delhi instead of Beijing. Delhi doesn't have that common understanding. They all want to get there as soon as possible. Can you imagine, when nobody stops, and there is no consciousness?"

Woman (After some thought) "I've never been to India."

Man "You should."

Woman (Determined) "I'm definitely going to India. I'm definitely going to go. Would you come with me? If I gave you a free holiday, in about a year. I know someone who's designed a hotel there on the beach; they reckon we can wing about a week there, for nothing. Five star."

The man stared into the middle distance. Evidently there would be a lot of traffic lights to navigate between now and then.


guardian.co.uk © Guardian News & Media Limited 2011 | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds


Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2011/mar/19/michael-holdens-all-ears

BlackBurn Rovers Rugby union India Transfer window Russia Social networking

No comments:

Post a Comment